Bake a golden apple cake today
What is nicer than a home that smells warmly of cinnamon and cloves?
3 Golden Delicious apples, peeled
3 tablespoons (45 ml) lemon juice
125g soft butter
225g caster sugar
1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon
¼ tsp (1 ml) ground cloves
225g self-raising flour
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
a handful of walnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180º C (350º F)
- Roughly grate the apples, discarding the cores. Sprinkle with lemon juice to prevent them from becoming brown.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Beat in the eggs, one by one.
- Sift flour, salt and spices into the mixture and fold in gently.
- Lastly, fold in the apples, then spoon into a greased 20cm (8 inch) round springform cake tin and sprinkle the walnuts over.
- Bake for 1 hour in the pre-heated oven or until golden brown and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, the cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Serve at room temperature or slightly warm with whipped cream.