SEND US YOUR FAVOURITE RECIPE AND BE REWARDED!
E-mail your favourite apple or pear recipe to us at email@example.com. If we love it too, we’ll add it to our collection and include it right here on the site! Please remember to send us your name and address too, because if we feature your recipe, we’ll name it after you PLUS we’ll send you a special Tru-Cape gift to thank you for sharing your recipe with us!
Steamed Prawn & Pear Salad
Ingredients for prawn marinade/paste:
- a handful fresh basil leaves
- a handful fresh coriander leaves
- 1 clove fresh garlic
- 3 cm peeled fresh ginger
- 2 stalks fresh lemon grass
- juice of 1 lime (or 1 small lemon)
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1 fresh chilli, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 24 large peeled prawn tails, skins in tact
- Pound all the ingredients together in a pestle & mortar or food processor (except for the prawns).
- Mix the prawns with the paste, then steam them in a basket or colander until just cooked (about 5 minutes). When cooked, immediately remove from the heat and leave to cool, uncovered.
For the lime dressing:
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 red chillies
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) palm sugar (available from specialty shops)
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) grated lime zest
- juice of 3 fresh limes
- 6 firm Beurre Bosc pears
- For the lime dressing: Pound together the garlic and chillies in a pestle & mortar. Add the palm sugar and fish sauce and pound to a paste. Add the lime juice and zest and mix. Taste and adjust the quantities of lime, palm sugar and fish sauce to suit your palate.
- Finely slice the pears, discarding the cores. Toss in the lime dressing to prevent browning. Set aside.
Pile the dressed pear slivers onto 6 plates and top with steamed prawns.