SEND US YOUR FAVOURITE RECIPE AND BE REWARDED!
E-mail your favourite apple or pear recipe to us at email@example.com. If we love it too, we’ll add it to our collection and include it right here on the site! Please remember to send us your name and address too, because if we feature your recipe, we’ll name it after you PLUS we’ll send you a special Tru-Cape gift to thank you for sharing your recipe with us!
Ostrich With Fruit And Spices
- 2 Tru-Cape Packham’s Triumph pears
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of ground ginger
- 4 ostrich steaks (about 250 g per person)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (250 ml) apple/pear juice
- 1-2 teaspoons (5-10 ml) flour (optional)
- 1-2 teaspoons (5-10 ml butter (optional)
- Peel each pear, core and cut into 6 wedges/slices. Heat the butter in a pan and fry the pears until golden brown on each side.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in another pan and fry the chopped onion over medium heat until soft. Add the two spices and fry for another minute, stirring. Remove the onions and turn up the heat to high.
- When the pan is very hot add the ostrich steaks. Fry for 3-4 minutes on each side, seasoning with salt & pepper while cooking. Remove the steaks from the pan and leave to rest on a plate, then add the apple juice to de-glaze the pan. Thicken the sauce with a little flour and butter, if needed, using a whisk to break up any lumps. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- To serve: cut each steak into strips and arrange the pears between the slices. Serve with the sauce.