SEND US YOUR FAVOURITE RECIPE AND BE REWARDED!
E-mail your favourite apple or pear recipe to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If we love it too, we’ll add it to our collection and include it right here on the site! Please remember to send us your name and address too, because if we feature your recipe, we’ll name it after you PLUS we’ll send you a special Tru-Cape gift to thank you for sharing your recipe with us!
Duo Of Glazed Apples And Pears
Apples and pears baked together in a light orange sauce with aromatic flavourings make an elegant, easy dessert.
- 4 apples (preferably Golden Delicious)
- 4 large pears (preferably Bon Chretien)
- juice of ½ lemon
- 250 g sugar
- juice of 3-4 large oranges or 375 ml fresh orange juice
- zest of ½ orange, finely grated
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 drops almond essence
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely sliced (optional)
- 500 ml double cream plain yoghurt, optional, to serve)
- 60 ml ricotta cheese (optional, to serve)
- 60 ml blue cheese (optional, to serve)
- Peel apples, remove core and cut in half horizontally. Peel pears, cut in half and remove core. Place fruit in a bowl of water with lemon juice to prevent discoloration. Drain and arrange in neat rows in a deep ovenproof baking dish (the fruit should fit snugly in one layer).
- Mix half of the sugar with the orange juice, orange zest and essences. Pour this mixture over the fruit, then sprinkle with the remaining half of sugar over the top.
- Place the cinnamon and ginger between the Cover the dish with foil and bake at 180ºC for about 30 minutes – until fruit has softened but still retains shape.
- Remove the foil and place under a hot oven grill until the fruit are glazed and very lightly charred. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- To serve: spoon fruit into wide, shallow soup plates and pour syrup over. Serve with a dollop of yoghurt – or yoghurt mixed with equal parts ricotta cheese and blue cheese and then frozen for an hour or two.
Recipe from Annette Kesler’s Fresh & Healthy (published by Lannice Snyman and endorsed by the SA Heart Foundation).