SEND US YOUR FAVOURITE RECIPE AND BE REWARDED!
E-mail your favourite apple or pear recipe to us at email@example.com. If we love it too, we’ll add it to our collection and include it right here on the site! Please remember to send us your name and address too, because if we feature your recipe, we’ll name it after you PLUS we’ll send you a special Tru-Cape gift to thank you for sharing your recipe with us!
Delicious Apple Ice Cream
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Freezing Time: 4 – 5 Hours
Serves: 4 – 6
- 100 ml milk
- 500 ml fresh cream
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla extract
- 4 large egg yolks
- 60 g castor sugar
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) crème fraîche (cultured cream)
- 2 apples, peeled & cored, coursely grated
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) lemon juice
- Place the milk, cream and vanilla in a heavy-bottomed pot and bring to steaming point (just before boiling).
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and creamy. Pour the steaming milk into the egg mixture, while whisking well.
- Wash the pot, then pour the cream mixture through a sieve back into the pot. Place over a low to medium heat, stirring continuously until it starts to thicken. It must not boil or it will curdle.
- When it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, remove from the heat and leave to cool for an hour before whisking in the crème fraî
- Pour the cooled mixture into a plastic container with a lid and place in the freezer. After an hour, take it out and whisk it using a hand whisk. Repeat this process 4 times at 30-minute intervals, adding the apple (grate the apple, then toss it with the lemon juice to prevent browning) when the ice cream is beginning to firm.
- When firm, scoop and serve.